Background Outline :
Late Smt. Jamnaben Kutmutia was a Gandhian social worker. She devoted her
life for Cow-Protection. After her death in 1993, Maharashtra Cow Science
Committee was established in Malegaon (Nashik) to commemorate her life
work. In her memory, Jamnaben Social Worker Award was started in 1994.
This award is conferred on a person leading life as per Gandhian tenets,
working in the fields of Cow-species, Khadi, Environment, Organic Farming,
etc. in an apolitical and secular manner. The award is declared for
honouring persons leading personal life and performing social work as per
Jain Charities, interested in the significant activities of
social-cultural impact, has accepted sponsorship of this award with a view
to spread Gandhian philosophy far and wide.
Selection Process :
• Applications are not invited for this award.
• The members of selection committee practice Gandhian/Sarvodayee
• They collect information about such social workers from all
• After in-depth consideration, an eligible candidate is
Selection Committee Member :
Ex-Chief Justice Chandrashekhar
Shri Jayant Matkar
Shri Annasaheb Jadhav
Shri Sanjay Joshi
Nature of Award :
: Rs. 21,000/-
: Gandhian Training
Since when : 1994
Programme of Award :
To whom :
Original Concept of Award by :
Maharashtra Cow-Science Committee
Selection Criteria for Award :
• Life-style based on Gandhian thinking.
• Life-work, promoting Ahimsa through
Cow-Protection, compassion for animals/birds.
• Dedication for propagation and spread of use of Khadi.
• Sarvodayee efforts such as Gramdaan, Bhoodaan, etc.
• Devotion to environmental work.
• Inspiring work for Organic Farming.
• Struggle for village upliftment as Mission.
Recipients of Award :
Shri Annasaheb Deshmukh, Satara 1994
Smt. Medha Patkar, Mumbai 1995
Shri Lele Kaka, Jalgaon 1996
Shri Ramakrishna Adhave 1997
Shri Narendra Dubey 1998
Shri Mohmmad Baji, Orissa 1999
Shri Asandas Bherwani 2000
Shri Aba Kamble, Kolhapur 2001
Shri Raman Kumar, Mujaffarpur 2002